Improper installation, lack of routine maintenance and absence of necessary equipment are all issues that can cause safety concerns for your bleacher seating and result in injury or even death, if not properly resolved. In order to protect your patrons and fans and keep them safe at your facility, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends the following:
1. Thorough inspection of your bleachers by trained personnel on a quarterly basis, with problems corrected immediately
2. Licensed professionals should inspect bleachers at least every two years and provide written certification of inspection.
3. Records of all inspections, modifications and incidents and injuries should be compiled, retained and reviewed with corrective action taken immediately to prevent reoccurrences.
4. Guardrails should be installed on the back portion and open end of bleachers where the footboard, seatboard or aisle is 30 inches or more above the floor or ground below.
5. Top surface of the guardrail should be at least 42 inches above the leading edge of the footboard, seatboard or aisle, whichever is adjacent.
6. Replacing bleachers as opposed to retrofitting them should be considered
7. Sharp edges or protrusions should be eliminated.
8. Openings between between components of the guardrail or under the guardrail should prevent passage of a 4-inch sphere
9. Any aisles, handrails, and non-skid surfaces should be incorporated into any retrofit project.
Toadvine Enterprises is here to help your schools and organizations provide a safe environment for fans, spectators and players. Fill out the form to the right to contact us if you need a seating quote of if you have questions about the safety of your school's bleachers. We perform maintenance in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and Tennessee, but are happy to assist you if you are located in another area.